When a person who is not domiciled in the United Kingdom is in New Zealand and is entitled to benefits under UK law, the rate of this benefit is set in accordance with the provisions of this legislation regarding the payment of benefits to persons who are not domiciled in the United Kingdom. We recommend that you discuss your tax debts with Inland Revenue (New Zealand). The benefit, other than lump sum payments, is paid in accordance with the provisions of this agreement for events that occurred prior to its entry into force. The determination of rights in accordance with the provisions of this agreement takes into account the periods and periods of insurance completed before they came into force. All disputes between the competent authorities of both parties regarding the interpretation or application of this agreement are resolved by mutual agreement between the competent authorities of each of the parties. Under these agreements, Australia equates social security periods/stays in these countries with periods of Australian residence in order to meet minimum qualification periods for Australian pensions. In other countries, working periods in Australia are generally counted as social security periods to meet their minimum payment deadlines. Typically, each country pays a partial pension to a person who has lived in both countries. A partner is your spouse or person with whom you have a de facto or civil law relationship. For the purposes of applying the provisions of paragraph 1 of this article, the “benefit” provided for by UK law includes any additional increase or amount to be paid for this purpose. A copy of the Social Welfare Reciprocit (Reciprocity with the United Kingdom) Order 1990 (the agreement) is available here on the new New Zealand Legislation website: all application forms you complete for New Zealand benefits or pensions can be compared to information from the International Pension Centre or Work and Income.

Work and Income verifies your identity and residency status. If you have stayed or worked abroad or have contributed to a foreign social security plan, you may need to apply for an allowance or pension from that overseas country. Work and income determine whether this is necessary if you apply for your allowance or pension in New Zealand. This document applies only to benefits and pensions covered by the agreement. If one of the parties does not appoint an arbitrator within the prescribed time, the other contracting party may ask the President of the International Court of Justice or, if he has the nationality of one of the parties, the vice-president or the superior judge of the latter, who does not have the nationality of one of the parties, to make the appointment. A similar procedure is applied at the request of one of the parties if the two arbitrators cannot agree on the appointment of the third arbitrator. “competent authority”: the authority responsible for social security systems in all or part of the territory of each contracting party; in other words, with regard to the United Kingdom, the Secretary of State for Social Services, the Department of Health and Social Services for Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man Board of Social Security, as the case, and, in the case of New Zealand, the Social Security Commission; In all cases where paragraphs 1, 2 or 3 of this article apply, the authority with which the application, notice, appeal or document has been filed has been submitted immediately to the competent authority or the insurance authority of the other party.